Friday, November 14, 2008

Division

Division is the word that keeps coming to mind when I look around me these days. It is every which way I turn. I've had several sad division encounters lately, but will choose one to share now.

A few days ago, a neighbor’s car pulled into my drive. I was excited because a) we seldom have visitors, b) this was a neighbor I had been trying to meet for months and c) phase one of our new porch had just been completed. So I eagerly ran out to the front yard in my bare feet, something I wouldn’t have done if I’d been thinking. Red ants abound here in east Texas.

I greeted him and his wife, who I hadn’t met before. I had only met him once briefly and hoped we’d get to visit again. He said he had only stopped by to ask me a couple of questions, which I answered. Then, I invited them to come up and sit on my new porch. "Could you come up to the porch and sit?" I asked. "I’m standing in an ant pile getting eaten alive!" I hoped they’d stay for a glass of tea and a chat. But, he declined quickly and said he didn’t want to bother me. He was gone rather abruptly.

Sometimes in a conversation you get a very strong feeling of how the person feels or what they may be thinking, even if they don’t say a word to that effect. I had a very strong impression that he was thinking, "I’m black. You’re white. There is a wall between us and so I’m not going to bother you."

I came back inside, started washing dishes, and found myself in tears before I knew it. I stopped what I was doing and just sat at the table and buried my head in my arms and cried. I was crying because I was disappointed, crying because I was excited that someone might sit on my porch and it hadn’t happened. I was crying in frustration at seeing that tiresome old dividing wall of racism between us. But other times in my life, none of this would have upset me so much or brought me to tears. I think the division he sees between people for a whole host of reasons, must be making Father cry extra hard right now for me to have that reaction.

This election has been like an earthquake. No one was indifferent or unaffected. One black lady I know said this election is the craziest thing she ever saw. Her black friends told her if she didn’t vote for Obama she isn’t black. Her white friends said if she did vote for Obama, she isn’t Christian. If I were her I might have wanted to leave the country for about a month, two weeks before and after the election, to maintain my sanity. I’ve certainly been rattled by all the doomsaying, the anger, the hysteria, the name-calling, the racism issues, the hand-wringing… the division. I have had to remind myself that God isn’t surprised nor unprepared for the days to come.

A hundred years ago, a black man couldn’t be invited to the White House without a scandal. Now we will have a black man and his family living in the White House. People say we’ve come a long way, and in some ways we have. But, I still wonder if the man and his wife down the road will ever come sit on my porch and feel comfortable.

Well, one day in heaven if not here on earth, I hope to have a beautiful porch with a variety of friends sitting on it. We will all hold hands…black and white and brown and all shades in between laced together, noticing no difference except how uniquely beautiful each one is.

"There is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, male nor female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus." Galatians 3:28

5 comments:

Aida said...

Wow! Another wonderful post and I love the video.

Racism actually has nothing to do with color. People hate others of the same color just because they're different or are of another ethnic group.

Until the heart is transformed, we'll still struggle with hatred and racism. Love is a thing of the heart and so is racism. Therefore, love is the only thing that will drive racism out of us.

Why? said...

Amy, we are very much a like... I know I have a true friend when they can stop by unannouced..lol

Some day I will sit on your porch..

Don't give up on your neighbors...
persistence in love... you know the drill...

Saw the greatest movie...

The secret life of bees...
an amazing story of "Love" that crosses the racial barriers

Kim in Sacramento

Bino M. said...

Great post! I have have many mixed thoughts, since they are not clear i am not sharing :) One thing I would say - like Aida said, racism is beyond color, for example: when a fat woman (or man) is not comfortable in the company of a groups of lean women (men), it's another face of racism. I think the issue is, we are more concerned about the externals (color, shape, size etc)...

Anonymous said...

I just want to say that I am sorry for whatever I said to offend you. I think my father was correct when he said to NEVER discuss politics because it divides. I guess that includes friends and family too. Very sad.

introvertgirl said...

Thank you all for your comments. I know that politics and racism are not easy to discuss. I hate that there are some subjects that seem to divide. But no, I am really not offended at anything anyone has said about any of the political/spiritual rumblings of late, except one person who I feel went too far and it is no one who ever comments here!
I'm making a stab at expressing my thoughts on this stuff despite the potential for misunderstanding, hoping that it will somehow serve to bridge rather than widen any gaps...