Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Infamous quotes from the Bible

Hi everyone, due to numerous computer problems and time constraints I have not posted in a while. I am hoping that I can do better in the next few weeks! I have enjoyed reading others' blogs though.

I am going to post a few of what I believe are the most well-known 'proof texts' that have been misused over and over to put people into some sort of bondage and keep them there. I would like others' feedback on what you believe was really intended for us to glean from the text.

I will start with the infamous Hebrews 10:25. "Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another - and all the more as you see the Day approaching."

I'm wondering why some of these people had 'given up meeting together.' The early church sounded a lot more spiritually healthy overall than most of what I've seen in my day. Maybe I'm wrong? As I stated some time ago on my 'Going to church' blog, why would people NOT want to go to a meeting with other believers if they left feeling enouraged?

What are your thoughts?

7 comments:

Kathie said...

It's good to see you back! That's an interesting question you pose, and I don't have any immediate thoughts. I know toward the end of my churchgoing days I didn't feel encouraged, but rather burdened with yet another "challenge" ("this week I challenge you to...[do something, whatever that week's sermon as about]). Hmm....ya' got me thinking...

introvertgirl said...

Hi Kathie! Yes, I remember those weekly challenges. LOL. Years ago I remember an acquaintance who was not a touchy feely type at all, grabbing me in a big hug when she saw me at the store. Almost immediately I realized it must have been "this week, I challenge you to show love to an unbeliever. Give them a hug when you see them." LOL

Bino M. said...

Well, I am glad it did not say "let us not give up 'going to church'". :)

True believers have a natural desire to meet with other true believers and they do it as well, not necessarily in a cement and mortar building on Sunday mornings, but at homes, Internet, blogsphere, facebook, chat rooms, coffee shop and all that.

introvertgirl said...

Good point Bino, there is indeed a very important distinction to be made there. Thanks for stating it so well :-D

Leonard said...

Dang it Bino, thats what I wanted to say, LoL...

Glad your back Amy but also know ya never realy left, anyways good to see you here.
Best
Leonard

Aida said...

Amy, from what I understand, the believers that were being spoken to were suffering great persecution and had stopped meeting. They hadn't stopped because they were being bored to death by a lecture that had absolutely nothing to do with the reality of their lives.

As Bino has said, all believers have a natural desire to meet and I'm finding out that I now meet more often than I ever did while involved in the institution. Whenever I can grab a few minutes, I get online to see what the community of believers is discussion. I'm no longer bound by anyone else's schedule or choice of topic so now I can go where real life is being shared.

introvertgirl said...

Hi everyone again, sorry for the delayed response. I'm a bit overwhelmed with the new school year starting. LOL Aida good points. I've heard more preachers try to scold people into doing better with this verse when they notice empty spots in their pews. It's amazing how warped our perspective is when we believe everything we hear. The context of the Bible is so far off as it's preached at IC sometimes!

Good to 'see' you Leonard and Bino, I'll post again soon!