Friday, August 8, 2008

Fellowship

I’ve often compared human fellowship to food. To me, time spent with a true friend or even an intriguing acquaintance is like a good, satisfying, nutritious meal. Think of a nice barbecued chicken breast, baked potato with all the fixings, a big salad and a big glass of cool water to wash it all down. Then, you get a nice warm chocolate dessert of some sort with ice cream. Now, that’s living. You get things that are good and nourishing for you in this meal, plus some things that just make you feel good. You’re totally satisfied, not hungering for anything more. This, to me, is what true fellowship is like.

Unfortunately, I’ve found this type of "good meal" fellowship to be relatively rare in our society of fierce independence, over-achievement, and focus on material gain. Our culture is an absurd reversal of many third world countries I’ve read about. Over there, many people live on a very simple diet. Many children are sustained on only rice because that’s all they have. Others may be lucky and also have millet or corn. Women feed their children on $2 a week. Yet when you see photos of these people in these places, there are always groups of people TOGETHER. They sit together, they lean against each other. Children are photographed sitting in a circle laughing or playing together. Women sit in a circle grinding grain or weaving while they talk. Men work the fields in groups. They live in overcrowded dilapidated houses and huts together. When illness strikes they care for each other until there are no healthy left to care for the sick. Sometimes, they lie down and die together.

Here in the U.S., most of us are overfed and many are overweight. We are more obsessed with healthy diets and weight monitoring than any other country, yet we are dying of eating-related disorders at an alarming rate. We have far more food to gorge ourselves on than is good for us and many of us have the love handles to prove it. Yet, as a culture we’re the poster children for emaciated, starving people in the spiritual and emotional realm.

I’ve spent a lot of time with my ear to the ground over the last few years and realized that though most people are hard-pressed to see or admit it, the average person is lucky if they have even one or two real friends. We know lots of people and call many of them friends, but in reality they’re just people we’re busy with.

I’ve always thought of these "busy-buddies" as cheese and crackers. Now, there’s nothing wrong with cheese and crackers, but if that’s all you ever eat, you aren’t truly being nourished. You can eat them until you don’t want anymore, and perhaps feel a little sick from all you’ve eaten. But you’re not satisfied. You want something more. You feel lethargic because you’re stuffed with something that hasn’t given you true nourishment. You didn’t really enjoy them all that much while you were eating them, but you were hungry and that’s all there was, so you ate and now you’re glutted but not fulfilled.

A snack is a snack. Light and shallow acquaintances are like snacks. Some are the yucky pre-packaged, God-only-knows-what’s-in-them orange crackers with quasi-peanut butter. These are not only not nourishing but downright bad for you. I’ve had some acquaintances and even ‘friends’ like this.

Other cheese and crackers may be good quality stuff. These are nice people you may know in the neighborhood, in the church, or in the book club. You chat pleasantly with them when you see them. Sometimes, you pursue a deeper relationship with them only to find out they don’t have time for real friends because of all the hustle-n-bustle in their lives. Nice people or no, activity and accomplishment will always take precedence over real relationship for them. You hoped it would turn out to be a real meal, but they remain cheese and crackers.

Sometimes I’ve come to a point in life where I wonder, "is it better to just go hungry than have another cheese and cracker snack?" At times I’ve glutted myself on "cheese and crackers" (including the stale vending-machine variety) until now when I’ve come to the point where I feel I’d rather starve than ever touch them again.

Perhaps Father has a design behind this dilemna? I’ve read the verses in the Bible. "Come and eat, and be satisfied." And thought, what IS he talking about? I go to church and I’m not satisfied. I participate in programs, activities and "home groups" and I’m not satisfied. We’ve been promised by institutional church that these things bring life, yet they don’t. Why does IC harp so much on fellowship? Could it be that they have accepted human fellowship as a substitute for true fellowship with God?

I’m going through a time where I’m struggling with whether I’ll starve if I really go hungry. I realize I’ve lived as though I’ll starve if I don’t eat these vending-machine cheese and crackers. I hope Father is getting me much closer to the point that I really am courageous enough to go hungry for however long I must. Maybe we have to be REALLY hungry, to have a cavernous hole in our stomach to be able to hold Him and all He wants to give us.

9 comments:

Bino M. said...

Amy,

Okay I found out that you have a blog. The link on your name from the comments didn't take me to your actual blogger profile, but I think one of them did and I landed on your blog.

This is a great post!

We know lots of people and call many of them friends, but in reality they’re just people we’re busy with.

You are absolutely right. If I am being honest, I should agree that I have no real friends where I can have that one-on-one, free, open, honest talk with. I do have on-line friends and a blog community but we know that how limited that is on a 2-dimensional media. At the same time, I have learned a secret of not being in a community but being contented at the same time. Sometimes communities can give us a sense of false security.

You raised an interesting question:

Why does IC harp so much on fellowship? Could it be that they have accepted human fellowship as a substitute for true fellowship with God?

Well, how can someone have true, free, open fellowship with a God who is angry, wrathful, impatient and jealous? Isn't that the picture IC portrays? No wonder people substitue human fellowship with felloship with God.

introvertgirl said...

Hi Bino,
Glad you found my blog! I'm glad you liked it. It's funny the things I couldn't see for years at IC that I'm seeing now. They made passing comments about fellowship with God, in the midst of absolute obsession on making sure we had CONSTANT fellowship with each other, or supposedly we'd all spiritually wither away! Since being out, I've actually found that the opposite is true. :-)

You make great points. Thanks for writing!

Aida said...

Bino, I'm glad you found Amy's blog. She's got a lot of great things to say and a really neat way of saying them. If you lose her blog again, I've got a link for it on the sidebar of my blog.

Real friendships seem to be very rare in this country. As I told you, Amy, I've been home the entire summer and not one of my so called friends has called to say hello or ask to go to lunch. Last Christmas, I decided I wasn't chasing them any more. Obviously, the desire for a relationship is not as important to them as it is to me.

Like Bino, I'm finding some great friends online. Last week, I met my first online friend when she came and spent the night. We talked so much I started losing my voice. Since she's a 4 hour drive away, visits will not be very often.

I'm learning to be content in my aloneness too. When my friend left, I struggled with loneliness for a day or two and I still miss her even now, but it's no longer that deep abiding hurting loneliness like I used to have.

Life for me has gone on very well without all of the busyness of the institution. Now, I'm free to move in the moment wherever Father is going and I like that a whole lot better.

introvertgirl said...

Aida,

Thanks for your comments! It just totally baffles me why those who are lucky enough to KNOW you F2F wouldn't see the value of your friendship. People can be so strange!!

IKWYM about your friend, when I had to leave south TX after visiting with Yis I REALLY missed her bad for about 3 weeks. But it wasn't the same kind of pain as having no one - it was a good kind of pain. If that makes sense.

Ah yes - freedom to move in the moment. I'll have to remember that.

Joel Brueseke said...

Hi Amy, great post. I've realized over time that many of the relationships I had with people in the IC were superficial at best... although don't get me wrong, I can be just as good at the superficial game as anyone else. :)

But here's what I found. When I would chit chat and be superficial and happy and smiley, and when I would only say things that everyone agrees with, I was accepted and "loved." But when I opened up and dug a little deeper in my communication and in my wanting to really know people, not just on the surface but down deep, the love was no longer there. Which means, of course, that it wasn't real agape love in the first place.

Again, I'm not saying I'm king of the true fellowship world by any means. But what you're saying here really resonates with me as being what real love and fellowship is about, and I've had a very difficult time finding people who I feel I could genuinely share in it with.

My wife and kids still attend an IC, but I've been out for just over a year, after having been a part of that church for over 7 years. Guess who's called me to see how I'm doing or if I'd like to be a part of any sort of real fellowship. No one! Apart from some friends inviting my wife and kids... and me... to a Memorial Day party (and the same family sending me a birthday card), no one's had the time of day for me.

However... and this is what gets to me... At work I run into people who go to that church, and they've often been quick to say things like "I haven't seen you around church lately" or "why haven't you been to church?" So, they want me to be part of the Club, but they don't really want anything to do with me.

Anyway, as I reread what I wrote above I realized that how I worded it may make it sound like I'm bitter. That's not the case. :) I'm simply pointing out how I think church people know "church," but they don't know fellowship.

This is an area of my personal life that I'm really looking to change.

introvertgirl said...

Joel, thanks for writing! I've heard this experience shared so many times since I've been digging deeper... even a few of those who looked SO popular at IC were totally forgotten once they left.

We as an American culture church do not tend to truly serve one another. We serve the machine. People don't know any other way. The sad part is that the majority have no interest in learning.

I'm glad our minority outside the walls is growing...

Blessings!
Amy

Joel Brueseke said...

Yes indeed it's sad that this is the case, and through the web I've met all kinds of people who are dealing with it in one way or another, but it truly is a wonderful thing that many more people are finding true fellowship outside of the institution.

Free Spirit said...

Wow! Amy, I love this. Very Meaty! I feel like I really "get" what you're saying here, and even relate in some ways, more than I wish I did. Yes, I feel so ready for the meat and potatoes kind, and have really grown quite a disliking, or perhaps a deep unfulfillment, with the cheese and crackers type, that most of my existence has consisted of. Thanks for a great thought-provoking post!!

Alisa said...

I love your post. May I hi-jack it to my blog & discussion board as long as I link it back to your blog and credit you? I am looking to build more "relational" topic discussions there and this is wonderfully written. Thanks, and I'll wait for your answer.

Be Blessed
Alisa