Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Overcoming Fear

"There is no fear in love, but perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love." 1 John 4:18

It is interesting that this verse contrasts fear and love, instead of fear and comfort, or fear and safety, or even fear and rest. Thinking about it, I can see that most of my fears have been rooted in loss of love, or perceived loss of love.

Darin Hufford’s recent blog on treating fear as something we have a choice on caught my attention. I believe that we women really need to hear the perspective of a man, because they tend to think more logically. A common experience I’ve had as a female is getting so caught up in my emotions that I can’t think straight anymore.

Darin’s blog was timely because there is an important decision we’ve been looking at making that could greatly affect our future. I was raised in a household that was hugely fearful. It was as though we had to consult the God of Fear first for every decision we made. If fear said it had a 1 percent chance of turning out awful, we would probably decide not to do whatever it was.

I’ve been controlled by fear all too often. As a result I’ve actually ended up enduring a lot of awful things that I might have avoided if I hadn’t been afraid! I’ve also missed out on some really good things.

You’d think I’d have the pattern nailed down in my logical mind by now, and be able to catch myself and stop it by now. But I’m proud of myself that at least now I’m trying to look at things more closely before making a knee-jerk fear decision, especially on big things.

I decided to discuss my situation with Darin and tell him of my concerns. I wanted to know if it was fear (unreasonable) or just concern (wisdom). He acknowledged the importance of my concerns and advised me to plan for the possibility that they would happen. But - here’s the clincher - he said, "But letting these things stop you (from following your dream) is being controlled by them. You’re stronger than that."

His words helped me clear up my wimbling back and forth. I can make myself dizzy with "On one hand, I want this, but on the other hand, it might be impractical, scary, dangerous, uncertain, a failure, a disaster, whatever." Yeah, I’ve been a poster child for that double-minded man verse in James and I look forward to Father maturing me out of doing that.

But I can see that thinking of myself as stronger than one who lets fear be in control is a picture of myself that I have not carried. Now I know what our course is. I can see that this will be another leg of our faith journey. And I hope it does a great work to really remove fear from my heart.

I also want to add that an important reason why that I struggle with fear is the lack of having somebody believe in me during my youth. As parents, no matter what age our children, may we all get across to them that we BELIEVE in them!! That’s an important foundational ingredient to any person. It’s kind of hard to find as an adult too. (You know you’ve found a real friend when they truly believe in you, even during the hard times!)

I decided to change my screen name here to Lionwoman...because lions are known as animals of great courage and dignity. As our Heavenly Father sees us.

Blessings to all,
Amy

5 comments:

Bino M. said...

Fear of losing love...I can relate.
I think the more we come to know who we really are in Christ, the more secured we feel and the less fearful we become. We have the inherent need deep inside us to be loved and accepted, which is fulfilled in Christ alone.

Aida said...

Hi there, Lionwoman! I like that. We've been friends now for a while and I've seen you make some really amazing decisions. You've got a lot a wisdom and I'm glad you're sharing that with us in your blogs.

I can really relate to what you're saying. I've let fear of the what if's hold me back a lot. I'm finally learning to move forward but it isn't always with a great deal of courage.

What Darin said makes a lot of sense. (Of course, he always does.) Sometimes it just helps to have someone give us the right perspective when we're not seeing clearly. I'm excited that you're finding the freedom to move forward with your decision.

You go, Lionwoman. You're awesome!

Love,
Aida

introvertgirl said...

Thanks Bino and Aida! Bino that's a great statement, it sums it up. In the frenzy of classes, programs, staged worship services, and that whole stressful 'spiritual warfare' atmosphere, I just could not learn who I truly am in Christ. Thank God I am FINALLY learning now.

Aida thanks as always for your encouragement. I really appreciate you!!

Love you guys!!

introvertgirl said...

Thanks Bino and Aida! Bino that's a great statement, it sums it up. In the frenzy of classes, programs, staged worship services, and that whole stressful 'spiritual warfare' atmosphere, I just could not learn who I truly am in Christ. Thank God I am FINALLY learning now.

Aida thanks as always for your encouragement. I really appreciate you!!

Love you guys!!

Free Spirit said...

Hey Lionwoman,
I got here thru Aida's blog. I so appreciate your openness here. I think Father must be doing a tremendous cleansing right now in the hearts of His children. I am sensing that this "fear cleansing" is coming soon to a neighborhood near me; in fact, REAL near me, like maybe even in my own bedroom!

If you're at all interested, I'll provide a link to my own recent thoughts on fear:

http://spiritunleashed.blogspot.com/2008/08/fear-for-your-love.html

I hope to read up some more on your blog. Interesting connection: I'm also a homeschool mom of 4, from Texas. (It's not the main purpose of my blog, so I don't really talk about it there.)