Friday, October 17, 2008

Front Porches

One of the things I love most about old homes, is that most of them have front porches. The style of homes is a reflection of the times we live in. New homes with no front porch are being built left and right in suburban areas. They usually house people who work all day, then rush the kids to soccer and ballet lessons, then zip into their garage at night and aren’t seen again until they leave to take the kids to school the next morning on their way to work.

Front porches with swings, gliders and rocking chairs remind me of the time when they were built. A time when people had time to just sit and visit. I’ve only heard the stories from older folks. They would sit on the porch in the evenings after dinner. If they were lucky it might be screened in. Otherwise they would patiently shoo away flies, enjoying the warm breeze on a summer evening. After a little while, a neighbor or two, or four or six, was sure to come by. They would all settle in for a visit as the lady of the house brought out iced sweet tea or lemonade. If they stayed a while, maybe some homemade cookies or cobbler would follow.

I’ve read a couple of books written on how to form ‘networks’ and join clubs as a way of making friends and forming community. They teach you the strategy of finding the right friends and finding your place, as aggressive and well-planned as job-hunting. For us introverts, even the prospect can be exhausting.

A lady I once knew told me that her parents were among the least sociable and talkative people in the neighborhood, but they always had friends and they always had company. All they did really, was sit out on the front porch evenings and some neighbors were sure to come by and see how they were doing. A pitcher of fresh tea could go a long way in building bonds back then. Now you apparently have to have a well-honed strategy and a PLAN.

I feel like I was born about a hundred years too late. We have plans to build a porch onto our house. Long term plans include adding a larger flower garden to the front yard that can be viewed from the porch. Will others come and sit there? Will they be glad they came over, if they do? Sometimes, hoping for this is like planning to go into the buggy-whip business. As if I’ll offer the best buggy-whip anyone ever saw… that’s about a hundred years too late for anyone to have a use for.

But I’m planning on these things anyway, because they are on my heart. An important truth that organized Christianity usually doesn’t tell us is, follow and trust your heart. Because you have been given a new heart. Perhaps Father will bless others through my ‘outdated’ way of doing things in ways I haven’t imagined yet.

10 comments:

Aida said...

Amy, I love your new heart!

I wish our house had a front porch but it's not really built for one. I agree. Sitting on a front porch is a wonderful way to connect with nature and with people.

Also, I love gazebos. I'm immediately drawn whenever I see one. What a wonderful way to spend an afternoon . . . sitting on a gazebo enjoying the sights and sounds of creation. I can't think of anything much better than that.

Love,
Aida

introvertgirl said...

Aida, thanks as always for your encouragement! A gazebo is also in the long term plans, after the porch and garden. Come on down to Texas sometime and enjoy! :0)

Blessings
Amy

Bino M. said...

I admire your heart for community and fellowship with others. Those front porches you were talking about were unfortunately replaced by the 'idiot box' in the living room, where people gather around and watch all kind of 'one way' entertainment where there is no room for interaction and intimacy. Just like those pulpit-pew systems in the churches where we watch 'shows'.

Hope your dream come true and I am glad that there are still people who care about or give precedence to the interaction with other human beings.

Aida said...

Your plans sound great! Hey! I'm believing that one day I'll be able to travel and visit my online friends. You're at the top of the list so start working on that gazebo soon. LOL

Love,
Aida

Mel said...

Amy,

My husband and I both had to have a front and back porch on our home when we built it about 10 years ago. We have enjoyed both greatly. We just had our back porch screened last week and plan on being able to use it even more minus bugs. We spend many hours relaxing and talking with our four children, doing school (we also homeschool), sharing meals, reading,etc. It may be old fashioned but it still works as a great place to connect away from the TV, computers, etc.

Thanks for sharing,

Melanie

Old Pete said...

Greetings from one introvert to another - and hi to my other internet friends!

I've just been reading through your blog and I can relate to so much of what you have written. I've been on this journey outside the four walls of traditional Christianity for some 40 years.

Have you read "Caring for your Introvert"? - http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/200303/rauch - it led to a wonderful discussion quite a long time ago now with Aida and a few others.

As a grandparent I can so relate to much of what you have written. My children are so busy rushing their kids here there and everywhere and getting further and further into debt. They are becoming nervous wrecks!

We live 500ft up and some 2 miles from the sea. We have a south facing garden (yard) and a sun lounge that is open to the sun all day - but unlike you we don't suffer from midges (it's seldom warm enough - but that's how I like it). We are only 4 miles from the centre of a city but we have a nature reserve almost on our doorstep.

I love gardening and I love walking in the reserve. The sad thing is that we seldom get the chance to share the beauty of the garden or the reserve with others.

Like many others my fellowship is limited almost entirely to the internet. A close friend who died about five years ago once said, "Peter, you have the knack of asking the awkward questions to which there are no easy answers" - and most people don't want to face up to reality.

I've recently listened to "TrueFaced with God" by John Lynch for the second time (it was mentioned on the God Journey forum a few months ago) - I'd love to be able to discuss this.

Like you Amy, there are a few things I like to consider in greater depth - I find social chit chat very hard - but not only am I am introvert but I've recently realised that I've lived with Aspergers Syndrome all my life which makes it hard to communicate with others face to face.

OK I've been rambling but I have noticed your posts in the past and I sense a lot of common ground.

Pete

Alisa said...

I love porches and all that they imply, portray and secretly promise. I will have one some day. I am in CT, but if I ever make it your way, I'd love to stop for lemonade and to flower gaze while rocking in a comfy chair. I wonder if the mansion with many rooms has a front porch with rocking chairs for lazy days of fellowship? That would be nice.

introvertgirl said...

Alisa, I hope that we have front porches in heaven! You're right, it's a beautiful and relaxing sight. I will visit all of your blogs as I find time, kiddos keep me busy :-). Old Pete, you are almost my earthly father's age. Like with Aida, I REALLY admire your willingness to be open to change at a later age. The blog of yours I found was last posted in August, is that your most current blog?

Blessings to all
Amy

Aida said...

Amy, I've known Pete for a while now and he really is an inspiration with his questioning mind. You'll love getting to know him. He's a great guy.

Old Pete said...

I've been on a very long journey and my web site is a reflection of some of that journey. I'm an introvert and I'm really not into blogging - I really feel that some of us need to go deeper.

My blog is meant to be an introduction to my web site. There is then the chance to comment on the blog about the various articles.

I know this is not the way that others have been used to blogging, and it may be that this is not what others want. But I have never been a conformist and I have been led to try something different.

Maybe I haven't got the format right - maybe I'm not asking the right questions.

I'd be delighted to hear from anyone who feels able to offer any constructive comments.

Pete