Sunday, October 26, 2008

If we never meet again this side of heaven

I remember my best friend in 7th grade, a girl named Shelley with curly black hair pulled in pigtails wearing overalls. Although I haven’t seen her in at least 5 years and very little for years before that, I still find myself thinking of her rather often. We were best friends all the way through high school, despite being separated in different schools for much of that time. We hit rough spots, traveled different paths and grew apart for a few years. Our friendship was renewed for a few blessed years after I became a mother. Then, she disappeared into the abyss of missing friends. I email her now and again, and sometimes get a response. She sounds stressed, distant, buried in her work.

I imagine the fellowship we had in school being restored. Maybe Father won’t mind if we pass notes containing hilarious cartoons such as got me kicked out of study hall for laughing so hard. Maybe we can have face to face conversations about Jesus, like we had online for awhile when I became a new Christian. I picture the closeness, the rapport and caring for one another - just like things used to be, only even better.

I think of former friends who turned against me, or dropped me because we had religious differences. And some who unexplainably just grew cool and distant. It still pains me to remember how and why some of these friendships ended. I remember what I once loved about them and picture that actually restored… only better.

I think of my internet friends, who literally live coast to coast with me smack dab in the middle in Texas. I picture seeing them 3-D, up close and personal. Hearing their voices without the static of a phone line and the feel of wrapping my arms around them in a hug. I wonder what their day to day lives are really like. There is only so much one can really share online.

I remember my sweet grandmother, who died 12 years ago. And the children I’ve never met, the ones that were never born because I was listening to the world instead of my heart. And the godly teachers who have ministered to me that I may never meet this side of heaven. And some of my favorite heroes of love, such as Mother Theresa… Florence Nightingale… Billy Graham… Steve Irwin. And of course, the best of all… Jesus… face to face.

I find this song a great comfort and inspiration. Although there are many versions of the song recorded, I’m going to include the one by the Man in Black who wrote the song:

5 comments:

Bino M. said...

This post made me cry (well, almost!) :) Yes, there are so many we never meet again this side of heaven. I am just thinking about a lot of precious souls who were my school buddies, Sunday school mates, collage mates; I don't even know if they ever meet Jesus... I hope they do!

Aida said...

Beautiful post, Amy! You have such a wonderful way of sharing that touches my heart. Since I'm one of your internet friends, it blesses me to know that you think about me. I think about you too and I was asking Father this week to give me the privilege of meeting you face to face. I want that hug.

Love you,
Aida

Aida said...

Bino, Amy said to let you know that she appreciates your comments but, for some reason, she's been unable to post comments. She said she had a clear moment the other night and was able to post a comment on your blog but it hasn't worked since.

I know you work with computers. Do you have any suggestions that I can pass on to her?

introvertgirl said...

I have a love hate relationship with computers. If this posts I'll know God came down and slapped it! Thank you all for your comments. I know one day I'll meet each one of you, perhaps at least one this side of heaven :-)

Mel said...

Thanks for this post, Amy, it brought tears to my eyes. Having lost my closest friend (really my only kindred spirit here locally)in April to cancer, I think much these days of having our fellowship renewed in heaven one day. Thanks for such an encouraging reminder that separation from those we love is only temporary.