Monday, August 16, 2010

So am I Crazy?

Someone reading this blog might ask, is this woman crazy? I've already had a few comments directed at me since our time back in the building. "I would never go to a place like that. It doesn't sound healthy. I would get up and walk out in the middle of it. I wouldn't last five minutes there." etc.

If only life were that simple. If only life really was as black and white as people try to make it look, or as black and white as we would wish. (And if only there were as many other options available as we'd wish!)

While we've been at the building, even sitting through boring, dry Sunday school and thundering hellfire-laced admonishments from the pulpit, there have been good things. We have had somewhere to get up and go on Sundays as a family. We really needed something, after so long staying home by ourselves on weekends we were all getting stir crazy.

My daughter loves Sunday school. Her teacher has been so sweet to her. So have many of the other adults. While my boys aren't thrilled with the youth group, it has still given them something to do with people on Sundays and Wednesdays. They think it's worth going for the same reason my husband and I do - just being around people is a basic need being filled, if not in an optimal manner.

I have been privileged to indulge my love for senior citizens at this place. Watching old men hug my daughter reminds me of a time I can hardly remember when I was a little girl at church. Old ladies chase my teenage sons down and give them hugs.

Two dear ladies there always find me and get a hug. One is around 70, and always compliments what 'lovely' children I have and is so jovial and genuinely friendly. Another is about 4 feet tall and about 90 years old. She stands there hovering like a child near me until I turn around and see her and give her a hug. She peers up at me through thick glasses and says "I love you honey" in her tremory Texas accent. It truly breaks my heart to think of leaving these people behind.

We have no earthly extended family support in our lives and just for a few moments each week, we can pretend that we do have real family support. These people are our brothers and sisters, though we may not agree on some important issues. Before and after class and service, I can say howdy to people and hug them and experience a few moments of what it's like to have a feeling of belonging somewhere among other people besides my immediate family. This is something we all have a felt need for and the only place we know to find it is organized church.

There have been pot luck lunches at least once a month during the time we've been there. It has been such a blessing to sit and share home cooked meals with others and talk about kids and fishing and weather. I hadn't enjoyed a potluck lunch with homemade fried chicken and deviled eggs since I was a kid in church. We spent a couple of years at one church where the pastor thought pot lucks were an unspiritual waste of time. We spent several more years at church where no one wanted to be bothered with cooking and instead went out to eat at a restaurant together after church. Our family went home and ate sandwiches because we couldn't afford to go out and it's sure hard to have a conversation in a noisy restaurant anyway.

All these positives about this church outfit have been noted without even getting to my very mixed feelings about the pastor. We had known him for a while casually from another group and remembered how exceptionally kind he seemed. So when searching for an organized place to go, we decided to give his place a try. We never dreamed that he would preach the way he does. It's almost like someone else takes over when he gets up on stage.

At first, his preaching seemed okay. The sermons were louder than at all necessary, right from the start, but we figured that was so that all the elderly folks could hear him. But as the weeks went on, more things were said from the pulpit that caused raised eyebrows and distraught looks between me and my husband as we got in the car to go home. Things continued to get more heavy-handed and assaulting in tone, until we finally realized how badly we are NOT on the same page with this pastor on the Sunday he boldly and plainly preached about his views of "conditional salvation on your behavior and efforts."

My husband and I have spent no small amount of time since then praying and pondering what is going on with this pastor. For whatever reason, we believe it is no mistake that God brought our paths together again. We hadn't seen him in a while before starting to attend his 'church' and it is interesting how strongly we remembered our very positive dealings with him (in a different setting) from a while back. It's a long shot to think we were sent to him to open his eyes, but we plan on having a talk with him sometime soon to explain our viewpoints to him and see if we get anywhere.

This time back in this particular building has been a mini-education in fundamentalism. The time I spent in charismatic AOG-flavored settings exposed me to the Elijah-style prostrating before Baal type of 'worship.' They sort of shroud the 'conditional salvation' message in 'Satan will ruin you.' Watch out for Satan because he's a lot badder than God is good, and he's a lot more powerful than you are. So make sure you wake God up any time you're being attacked and call him down to help you, otherwise you're dead!

Fundamental Baptist style preaching seems to lean more toward "YOU will ruin you, because you are a sinner and you need to quit sinning or you will lose your place in heaven." Either way, you are presented with Eternal Insecurity in which you never know where you stand, so like a man in a desert, you have to keep coming back to them purchasing glasses of 'water' which ironically tend to leave you thirstier than you were before you started.

Even with all this insanity, I can see why people go to 'church' and I can see why they stay. In this place we've been, everyone has their friends there and are related to half the congregation. Especially in these parts, people wouldn't know what else to do with themselves. I'm sure there are people who feel the pinch of legalism, but know what's on the outside of it, just as I've walked through for nearly 3 years - a lot of time alone especially on the weekends.

I do understand that we've been brainwashed into thinking "we need fellowship" far more than is really necessary. But some people have lost (or would lose) ALL of their fellowship, indefinitely, without their 'church.' Teachers such as Wayne Jacobsen say that "Father will bring you the people in your life when he sees that you are ready." That's a nice idea but applied as a blanket statement, it's just another formula.

So, perhaps we're meant to be among the ones who are "in the building but not of the building." Now, it may be a matter of finding a more palatable building setting. We'll see.

6 comments:

cheryl marie said...

Definitely NOT crazy. I've spent many a Sunday as an anonymous churchgoer in a sea of people. If that was your case, I would say it wouldn't be worth it. Human interaction makes a big difference!

I also remember when we were living in England and wound up on welfare, the discrepancy between those who could go out to eat after church and those who...well....didn't have the funds.

I was just remembering that my mom spent a couple of years being a church secretary so she developed a different view of the pastor than if she was just a regular church goer. She felt he was ultimately preaching to himself. So perhaps he is doing a little projection? (maybe?)

I think it's great you're blogging your way through this. I kept one for a few years and retired it a couple of years ago. Seems like a time capsule now.

introvertgirl said...

Cheryl it's great to hear from you! :-) Yes it would be interesting to know this pastor on a personal level. DH thinks the pastor is carrying a burden for the souls of those in his care that only God is meant to carry. I do wonder what the motive to the madness is myself. Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Hi Amy,
I just read your blog and want to say, no, I don't think you are crazy, maybe very tenacious. hahaha
seriously, though, when you said the pastor is such a kind man but when he steps up to speak,he seems like someone different--it made me think about Darin's blog-"The Man."
The truth is Amy, that we have had our eyes opened, and ppl still in the IC haven't yet. Once we "see"
it is very difficult to sit under the deception and delusion, no matter how we try to rationalize it. Maybe we should not have taken the "red pill" remember the Matrix(not really) haha Without sounding "super spiritual" I believe we are all traveling a way we've never been before and someday when we look back at this time, we'll see that He knew where we were headed all the time. After I was out of the situation I had lived for over 25 yrs. and saw how He had led and taken care of me, I entered into such a place of rest& trust. I'm glad you are able to share your experiences as you walk thru this. I'm sure it is helping lots of ppl with the same issues.

introvertgirl said...

Hi Windblown, yes I was thinking of "The Man" when I wrote that. I'm sure it happens in pulpits across America every week. And you're right part of the reason I'm still there is because I am getting a lot of good blogs out of this experience which I know are touching a few people. LOL yes we took the red pill and now there's no turning back ;-)

Kathie said...

I've thought of finding a local church for me and my boys for the reasons you describe - hooking up with others and having some sense of connection with local believers, even if we disagree on some major points. It bothers me that my 13-year old doesn't know anyone besides me who lives this life; well, he knows a couple of other people his age who are Christians, but they don't talk about it. But I do worry that if I went back to a church that the religiosity would seep back into me even though I'm aware of it and trying to shield myself from it; and I'm afraid of it shaping my son's ideas of God as well. I think if I believed God was leading me into a local church then I would trust he would protect me and the boys...but I'm not sure he is (leading us there, I mean). I do believe, as Wayne says, that God will hook us up with fellow believers at the right time - if he hasn't done that for me yet then I don't want to jump ahead of him. I just don't know. I feel that it's my desires that are pushing me into something local rather than God nudging me there. But I don't know. Anyway, I certainly don't judge you for being where you are! I'm just thinking out loud about this stuff.

introvertgirl said...

Kathie, I know what you mean. It's hard sometimes to tell when it's God nudging us and when it's our own desires. But, we have to remember it's OK to make mistakes too. :-) Although this 'church' situation hasn't worked out well for our initial purpose, I still believe it was some sort of necessary stop in our journey. I've learned some things, and am sure I will realize more in retrospect. If you and your family are doing well without a 'church' then I would just keep doing what you're doing. :-)