Sunday, May 24, 2009

Family

The desire for more abiding love and unity in the family of Christ is something that Father has put heavily on my heart lately. As I’ve previously discussed, there was always more talk in IC about how “we are a family” than I ever saw lived out. Some of the time I’ve spent in Christian circles reminds me of spending time with the in-laws when you don’t really care for each other: you’re a family – but in name only.

My journey-mate Free Spirit has written an impressive series of BLOGS called, “The Last Cow Standing.” I thought her title was great, and fits well especially here in the buckle of the Bible belt. Here in Texas, IC and “kin” rival each other for first place.

Sometimes, IC wins. There was a story that I heard in the context of a sermon about a man’s dying father who chose to attend his usual evening church service rather than his granddaughter’s birthday party, the last he would ever be able to attend in this lifetime.

Other times, “kin” wins. I wish I had a nickel for every time I’ve tried to invite someone over from the IC who couldn’t make it because of a family engagement. “Family” always came first. I heard an endless list of excuses from some former friends why they never had time for me. It was often some family get-together with relatives they didn’t even like or get along well with, but hey – family is family and they should rightfully eclipse everyone else at all times.

Either way, I wish I had a dime for every time I thought someone made a choice that showed how far out of whack their priorities were. It’s not necessarily about whether “church family” or “blood relatives” come first – it’s about making the heart choice that is reflective of abiding in Love. I think Free Spirit said it better than I can, so if you want a thorough run-down on this subject please check out her BLOGS. I’m just going to add a few more cents’ worth here.

There’s a reason we’re being awakened, called out of the catacombs of lifeless tradition. I am specifically speaking right now of the lack of understanding of just what family really means to Father. I’m not a doomsayer; I don’t try to pinpoint when Christ is coming back or spend my days combing the news for anything to line up with Biblical prophecy. However, I believe the time is coming. Just as the Bible says, the Church will be persecuted in the last days. It is commonly agreed that you depend on family during hard times. But I think we’ve barely tapped the significance of this idea in spiritual terms.

What are we going to do when the church is persecuted? When “building church” becomes illegal or even dangerous? When it becomes totally acceptable to be anything BUT a Christian? What if our own biological relatives turn on us and report us to the government for living our lives as we feel led? What if the people we called our “family” at church all run for the hills, forgetting our name as they do so? If we don’t know the difference between relatives, institutional church-based friendships, and true spiritual family – well, I think the day will come when we’re in real trouble. These things can be one and the same, but sometimes they’re not.

I don’t feel afraid of what may be coming as I write this; I’m not trying to scare anyone else either. Nor do I feel that Father is trying to scare or condemn anyone. Father may be concerned for us learning to live as family for practical, life-saving purposes that are to come only-He-knows-when. But even more importantly, I think is that he loves us so much that he wants us to deeply learn how to live as Christ said, “By this they will know that you are my disciples, that you love one another.”

4 comments:

Free Spirit said...

Amy,
Hi there! So, I'm a little more than late in the reading... just got here today, to see this. Thank you for the links and the encouragement on the subject. I realize that it is SO taboo to be speaking these things, but like you, I feel they need to be spoken.

I really liked your point about end-time persecution, and who we we'll be able to depend on for help/support in those (these?) days. I feel like there really is so much more to learn here, which is why I'm doing a further investigation into the life of Jesus, our example to see how He responded to blood kin vs. Kingdom kin, as I've recently stated on my blog:

http://spiritunleashed.blogspot.com/2009/06/gospel-re-read.html

I have a sneaking suspicion that our human tradition has completely preempted any understanding, or accommodating, of Papa's Kingdom family.

Thank you for your voice of support here! It's invaluable!!

Sorry it took me so long to get over here. :)

introvertgirl said...

Hi Free Spirit, that's OK, I know this time of year especially people are finding more things to do away from the computer, even me :-D. I absolutely agree, our traditions have pre-empted true spiritual understanding in SO many ways.

On my way over to read your blog... :-D

Anonymous said...

Lionwoman, I was challenged by this fact some months ago. "FELLOWSHIP and FRIENDS' We attended a church with 40000 members. We had many friends in our areas of service. The Lord took us out of the church very suddenly for a season. After about six month He said to, "How many 'friends' have contacted you". The answer was NOT even one!!!

Then He showed me that we would have a time of solitude with Him ONLY and then He would show us the group of friend whith whom we would fellowship. We are still in the time of solitude, but I am total at ease with it.

I though I had LOTS of fiends until I opened my eyes..... It was hollow aquaintences of convenience.

introvertgirl said...

Hi Royal son, sadly your story is all too common. It is very telling what kind of "friendships" that are usually bred in organized churchianity. They revolve around common activity rather than true connection. I'm glad though that now you're walking alone with Father and able to rest in that.