Thursday, May 21, 2009

Touch

I found a couple of interesting articles that you can read HERE and HERE . It’s no wonder we as the American church have so much difficulty living in love. Touch is a very natural part of love. While these articles are good, I think it’s indicative of a very sad problem that this even needed to be said. Throughout most of history, such an article would probably have been met with a befuddled stare. It would have been like handing a shepherd a manual on why sheep bleat when they’re not fed. Only in a society as warped and far off the meter as ours is, would we even need to be told these things.

But indeed, warped the American culture has become. We’ve been so conditioned to live in fear of our affections being misconstrued. Someone might think we’re behaving provocatively. Someone might suspect us of being gay. Someone might even think we’re child molesters in disguise.

The second article reported the observed low amounts of touch between teens. Then it stated, “The low amounts of touching in these studies was surprising, given the high levels of physical intimacy reported among U.S. students.” Excuse me? DUH! Where is the surprise? Based on the overall report in this article (which I think is dead on) desperate teens in a “no touch” culture will do whatever it takes to get a hug, some contact with another, anything disguised as affection and love. And I don’t think this phenomenon is in any way limited to teens.

It is easy to see why there is so much sexual deviance in our culture. We all hear stories of teen promiscuity, same-sex partnerships, adultery. But even many who live in healthy and functional marriages and other family relationships may find ourselves worrying about sexual sin and thinking we’re just a step away from it. With the number of sexual images being bombarded at us on a daily basis in our culture, it’s no wonder we may tend to have “sex on the brain” whether we want to or not.

Even standing in line at Wal-Mart we’d have to close our eyes and try not to get run over by the cart behind us to keep from being bombarded with images. Each time we are greeted with obtrusive magazine covers that try to force-feed the public endless details of the sex scandals of celebrities and other sexually related things we didn’t really want to know. Yet we’re often cautious of giving a simple hug or squeeze on the shoulder for fear it will be misconstrued. How sick is that?

I couldn't find any conclusive scientific evidence to support the following statement, but I'm going to make it anyway: I think that nearly all sexually deviant relationships and desires are the product of an environment in which healthy expression of love and affection isn't allowed or available.

I wish all this didn’t affect the Church, but sometimes I think we are the worst affected of all. We’ve been so conditioned to think that Christianity is about Not Sinning, rather than Living in Love. Therefore, the plumb line has been making sure you don’t do anything that looks wrong, rather than making sure someone else feels loved.

I’m just sick of it. And I hope and pray that Father will continue to work to heal this sick cultural phenomenon that has infected his Bride. It was so wonderful at the Free Believers gathering in California to just hug my brothers and sisters. I’m looking forward to seeing lots more of this next year in Phoenix. Meanwhile, I’m going to try to keep my eyes open for anyone who needs a hug.

Being unwanted, unloved, uncared for, forgotten by everybody, I think that is a much greater hunger, a much greater poverty than the person who has nothing to eat. – Mother Teresa

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amy,
"I think that nearly all sexually deviant relationships and desires are the product of an environment in which healthy expression of love and affection isn't allowed or available."

Amen! I fully agree with you. Sadly, I believe the System perpetrates an ongoing cycle of an unhealthy obsession about keeping anything sexual under wraps.

I know that growing up, sexuality was strictly taboo, an underlying implication was to keep conversation about it "hush-hush." I was taught the sex before marriage was simply a No, and that all other conversation was really not encouraged.

Of course, I do understand the heart of Papa in pre-marital sex and I fully agree to keep it in the relationship of only a marriage.

However, growing up, I developed an unhealthy yearning for physical affection because my family did't really encourage nor engage in wonderful "touch" expressions of hugs, pats, etc.

Sadly, I believe the institutional System has gone overboard and continued to perpetrate this cycle. Thus, why there is an over-focus on homosexuality, abortion and same-sex marriage in the institutional System. While those are all incredibly important issues, I feel the institution has unhealthfully put a focus on them sending a distorted message to Believers.

Thus, why I believe homosexual claims among teens, as well as pre-marital sex are flourishing (sadly) like never before among pre-teens and teens.

Again, I think you are right-on the dot here in this post.

My prayer is that more and more Believers will realize the need to engage in healthy expressions of touch and talk about sexuality among their children.

Blessings,
~Amy :)

Free Spirit said...

Here, here, lionwoman!!

Right on! :)

introvertgirl said...

Amy, thanks for your comments. I agree. It's sad. Father wants better for us though, I'm glad he's speaking to others' hearts about this :-D

introvertgirl said...

Free Spirit, thanks :-D My husband read your blog today and said, "She really did her research!" Great stuff!